What Would John Galt Do?

A whole different way of looking at "WWJD"

Saturday, October 22, 2022

 “Women are fundamentally incapable of loving a man in the way that a man expects to be loved by a woman” 

— Rollo Tomassi's Iron Rule #6

Tomassi is kinder and gentler than I am.  My rule says flatly that women are incapable of love, and that, therefore, no man should expect any woman to love him.

I would like to see that disproved, but while I’m waiting for that, here is what I have observed in the Real World:

Women are mostly concerned with what they are getting. As long as the gifts and the attention are flowing, she’s happy. But always keeping one eye open for a higher branch to swing up to, if you know what I mean. This is what women call “love.”  It is NOT what men call "love."

If misfortune befalls that man — he loses his health, his fortune, his ability to make a living — she will dump him as soon as she finds “something better.” I’ve seen it over and over, including in my own life.

Men don’t do that. As long as his woman loves him (and I’ll get to HIS definition of “love” in a bit), he’s inclined to stay with her, keep her fed, clothed and housed, etc. It takes a lot of effort and resources to win a woman’s heart, and no man wants to see that time & energy wasted. He’ll keep what he’s got.

This does not apply to cads and players, by the way.

Men have dreams, goals, ambitions. We build things. We aspire to build Great Things. Thanks to the colossal lie that we’ve all been told, known generally as The Romantic Myth, a great number of us believe that “behind every successful man is a good woman.” In youth, we seek to find that woman.

In our fantasies, we dream of someone who will build us up, encourage us, inspire us, tell us "Yes, you can" when the whole world is telling us "no, you can't, you're scum, you suck."  We need our home to be a sanctuary -- free from insults, accusations, belittlement, pettiness, putdowns:  all the slings and arrows we take daily out in the world as we make our living.  We need warmth, comfort, healing from the "slings and arrows," salve for our wounds, rest and above all encouragement.

I have a hundred stories to tell about little scenes I have witnessed as examples.  Perhaps I'll add them to this post someday.

When we find that woman (and rare is the man who does), we don’t want to lose her.  As Solomon said, her price is far above rubies.  We value her more than she will ever realize. She means everything to us.

But what is she thinking about? “How much am I getting? Could I get more with someone else?”

Very few women are happy with the man they have. Blessed are the ones who are, and especially blessed are their husbands.

To be revised, edited, and added onto later...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bogart said...

My post is longer than the character count allows here, so this will be cut into two parts.

I have been giving the premise that “women are incapable of love” a lot of thought. You posted it, presumably, to obtain feedback of such an notion, one of which I both strenuously disagree with but also can agree with if considered from a strictly biological standpoint.

To be sure, my wife and I are among those “blessed” ones, even after having split apart once upon a time due to reasons unrelated to those mentioned in your blog. She has stood beside me through a series of brutal illnesses which have caused us severe financial harm yet remains faithful and solid. She is more than I deserve in many respects and truly one of those who is, in my estimation, worth more than all the rubies in the world. Relationships between two individuals of radically diverse physiology and cerebral temperament is no easy task, it takes a lot of understanding and consideration to make things work, but work it does for us and for many, many others.

Allow me to begin with the critique of your premise and first examine what “love” is. From poets to psychoanalysts to engineers, the term has never been agreed upon by anyone and is unambiguously demonstrated by your not coming within a parsecs reach of characterizing it to a satisfactory level. Given our dearth of understanding love, could it be possible that your inability to find someone to “love” you is that you harbor an atypical form of love that results in your attempts being somewhat misguided? Imagine a consistently losing sports team that forever claims the other side is cheating as their reasons for failing to achieve victory, when in fact it was bad coaching. Perhaps you are playing with a losing strategy and that your conception of “winning” is too mercurial, too loosely defined and the whole idea of a being loved is simply unattainable under those terms? Love is pure emotion. Love is an illogical, ever changing, sometimes fiery, sometimes nearly imperceptible force. Love can be spontaneous and sometimes it takes time to grow.

You also claim hundreds of examples, along with personal experience, as “proof” that women are incapable of providing you with whatever it is you define as love. There seems to be a contradiction here in a world full of people who are very much in love and living happy lives. And you know what I think of contradictions. I can attest to just as many couples who have infinite love for one another. To me there is no doubt the woman who will bear a mans children, cook his meals and stand by him during times of sickness and privations as all the evidence I need to know women are loving, lovely and lovable people.

Now, in defense of you and Tomassi, according to information I have been casually exposed to, there is a strong natural inclination among females of most mammals to select among the fittest of males and, if their offspring is threatened by a dysfunctional male, then she may, by obligation, find a better provider. But that is the law of the jungle and we hold ourselves to a higher standard, of course. But to seriously think men don’t do that is to be either blind or willfully ignorant. The world is full of divorcees because the man dumped her when she got old, or fat, or the kids became a nuisance or she doesn’t have the same sexual spark anymore.

--part two next post--

24 October, 2022 00:03  
Blogger Bogart said...

--part two--

It has taken me quite a while to write this as I had to ponder this theory I heard you mention before and it left me shaking my head in disbelief. I would think “How could a man of such great intellect seriously believe this?” But there it is, again, so I had to write as if I were in your shoes hoping someone would counter my own thoughts. The loneliness must feel crushing, but we all have the same distance between us, separated only by the membrane we call a body. We occasionally join them in the magical act of making love, but it is mere sex without the passion, the trust, the deep feelings we share with one another. Women love and want to be loved the same as you and I and the rest of humanity, finding the key to unlock that love is as mysterious as trying to define it. I think the only I’ve learned is that love isn’t easy, nor should it be, because like anything humans get, if it is too easy, it becomes something trivial and soon discarded like an old toy the next time a new shiny thing comes along.

24 October, 2022 00:04  
Blogger Ken said...

Nice ad hominem.

Perhaps after I've expanded on the idea, you'll understand.

26 October, 2022 13:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home